Scope of this guide
This guide covers the following key domains of food research: nutrition and health, food safety, food use. This guide summarises the main principles and standard practices of the SR methodology outlined by the following guidelines:
- European Food Safety Authority (EFSA) 2010, Food and feed safety, EFSA Guidance to systematic reviews.
- The Cochrane Collaboration 2021, Healthcare, Cochrane Handbook for Systematic Reviews of Interventions.
- Centre for Reviews and Dissemination, University of York (CRD) 2009, Healthcare, CRD’s guidance for undertaking reviews in healthcare.
- United States Department of Agriculture (USDA) 2020, Diets & Nutrition, Nutrition Evidence Systematic Review (NESR) Process for Conducting Systematic Reviews.
- National Institute for Health and Care Excellence (NIHCE) 2014, Healthcare, National Institute for Health and Care Excellence guidelines.
- Nordic Council of Ministers (NCM) 2012, Food and Nutrition, Nordic Nutrition Recommendations.
- Social Care Institute for Excellence (SCIE) 2013, Social Care, The conduct of systematic research reviews for SCIE knowledge reviews.
- Collaboration for Environmental Evidence (CEE) 2018, Environmental management, Guidelines and Standards for Evidence Synthesis in Environmental Management.